Monday, April 2, 2007

Turning Torso
























I chose the Turning torso because I saw a Discovery Channel special on it and I liked the way it was built, as well as how it was built in a country with very few skyscrapers. Santiago Calatrava is an amazing architect who uses the human body as influences in many of his buildings. The Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias in Valencia, Spain is influenced by the human eye, and others are influenced by birds in flight or the silhouette of a bull.

I did a very simplififed silhouette of the building in the forefront, using large blocks of solid colors. I then traced the building in black, and put basic measurements and statistics following these paths.
In the background is a picture of the building with someone standing at the base looking up. I ran livetrace on it, played with transparency and then replaced one of the colors with the background color of the image.

No comments: